Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I started a S corp in Minnesota last year. I made a sale and

Customer Question

I started a S corp in Minnesota last year. I made a sale and arranged funding for my customer through a leasing company. I received the full contract amount in advance. Around 7800 dollars. I got very sick and was unable to continue. I lost my distributorship with a London based company. I was unable to fulfill the contract.. I spent the money on personal living expenses and am unable to pay it back. The customer service division of the Atty General from Minnesota is now trying to reach me through letters and calls. Please advise what I should do? Am I at risk of personal criminal charges or is the S corp?
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

The Attorney General's office is likely attempting to investigate whether you engaged in fraud, for which you could be personally prosecuted. However, since you became ill after entering into the contract, that would indicate circumstances beyond your control and you did originally intend to fulfill your obligations under the contract.

Fraud typically requires an intent not to fulfill your promises and if your conduct reveals that you did intend to but were unable to because of extenuating circumstances, then fraud would not typically be properly charges. However, it is best to retain a local criminal law attorney to communicate this to the AG's office on your behalf rather than risk making a statement that may incriminate you.

The buyer may sue you for breach of contract and obtain a judgment against you/the corporation for the amount owed, so it is best to attempt to negotiate a settlement to repay the amount owed to avoid a lawsuit/judgment.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Please let me know if you need additional information.

Thank you and take care.