JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

The AD & head football coach at my daughters high school has

The AD & head football coach at my daughter's high school has made one of his football assistants the girl's soccer varsity head coach. This man has never coached soccer, has no soccer coaching license, and no soccer experience. I think any non-football parent would agree that this is very unfair to the girls, but is there any leagal recourse, prehaps under Title IX that can be used to force the school to hire a qualified coach for the girl's soccer team like they do for boy's football?
Thank You
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of these circumstances. Was there a qualified applicant?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not know that the opening was ever advertised. I also sent the AD several emails offering to help in any way that I could (I have a USSF C and National Y license as well as five years varsity head coaching experience). I did not and do not want to coach the team but was more than willing to help. I did send two emails to the AD before the coach was selected and have since sent emails to both the AD and Girl's coach offering assistance.
Thank you. To your knowledge, no one was denied the job because of their age (over 40), disability, genetic information, national origin, pregnancy, race/color, religion, or gender?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no idea of the decision making process. Sorry.
No problem. The law does not require that the hired coach be qualified.

It's illegal for a person to not be hired because of the age (over 40), disability, genetic information, national origin, pregnancy, race/color, religion, or gender. But those facts don't exist here.

The facts that you've described suggest that people can complain to the school superintendent, etc; however, there's no legal action that can be taken because no laws have been broken.

I wish very much that I could offer you an answer that was more favorable to your circumstances, but the law seems to be pretty clear. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

I hope you understand.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience: Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.