Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I live in New Jersey. I have lived with my girlfriend for 10

I live in New Jersey. I have lived with my girlfriend for 10 years and want to include her on my health insurance as my "domestic partner". Is this a possibility in your opinion.
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

No, most policies permit coverage for a spouse or domestic partner. The term domestic partner typically means a registered domestic partner for states that recognize such union between same sex couples.

If this does not involve a same sex couple, then you must normally be married before the insurer will permit you to add her to your insurance policy.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.