Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

I loaned a friend some money to get started in a business and

I loaned a friend some money to get started in a business and the contract tha they signed was breached. I again loaned them funds for a car to have reliable transportation and the person is now refusing to pay off the loans. I have 2 contracts signed and both have been breached.

Person has also indicated that if I request payment they bill file bankrupcty and never pay the debts.

Do I have any recoursed?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Good morning. I would force them to carry through on their threats....filing bankruptcy isn't the cake-walk they think it is.....they must give up their assets, including their interest in their business, and it stays with them for 9 long years. They may get these debts discharged, but it will carry a heavy long term price. So, I would file your claim, get your judgment, and force them to pay you or file bankruptcy.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Even if they are currently going thru a nasty divorce? and currently filing bankruptcy?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
If they are actually filing bankruptcy, then these debts will be discharged and there would be no purpose to sue. But, if it's just a threat to keep you at bay, I would call the bluff.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They are currently filing bankruptcy.

Thanks for your quick response. I quess they have the control and there is nothing I can do.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

You're welcome. Take care.