Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My final divorce decree awarded a vehicle that is in my name

My final divorce decree awarded a vehicle that is in my name (since I was the only one on the loan) to my ex-wife. My ex-wife has since not been able to refinance the vehicle in her name and she now needs to register the vehicle. However, she is unable to register the vehicle because I completed a "transfer of title" with the DMV on the vehicle to her. I did this for two reasons. First, she obtained a ticket in the vehicle from a red light camera and since the vehicle is registered to me, the ticket was in my name. I had to have a way to protect myself in these kinds of situations. Second, the final decree awarded the vehicle to her, so I felt that the title should be transferred into her name. Also, per the final decree, I obtained a Limited Power of Attorney for my ex-wife to register, insure, license, and obtain documentation from the lien holder on the vehicle. Currently, the DMV will not let her register the vehicle while the "Transfer of Title" is in place. I would really like her to refinance or sell the vehicle to get the vehicle out of my name and I would like to protect myself for any future traffic violations she may receive in the vehicle; so I am hesitant to remove the "Transfer of Title".

I guess my question is, "Do I legally need to remove the Transfer of Title in this case?" Would I be liable for any fees incurred if she is not able to register the vehicle? Am I ultimately responsible for registering the vehicle even though the final decree awards it to her? Is there anything I can do to force her into refinancing or selling the vehicle to get it out of my name and off my credit report?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
The problem with this situation is that while the court can give her possession of the vehicle, there is nothing the court can do to force a lender to give her a loan, so as long as she is making reasonable efforts to get the loan in her name there is nothing the court can do about getting the loan out of your name.

The other problem is that the court gave her use of the vehicle and unless she can register the vehicle she cannot use it. Thus, the court could indeed make you remove the transfer of title.

Any tickets she gets, as long as you have the court order, you can get cleared from your record by showing them to the court.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law