Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

my license was suspended about 10 years ago due to an accident,

Customer Question

my license was suspended about 10 years ago due to an accident, i had no insurance, was sued for damages, but i did not receive court papers due to my ex, who i was separated from, not letting me know about the court date...
so i was recently re-married, and now my driving record, with the current texas id having my married name, states that i am eligible for driving, but when i print out a complete history, there is also no mention of accident or suspension
what should i do, i know i need a lawyer to sift through all of this, but i do not know what type of lawyer
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

If I may ask, did you attempt to file for a new license and were you denied?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was denied, but it was before i got remarried
Thank you for your follow-up.

The type of an attorney you would need would be either a general practice attorney or a criminal defense attorney who could pull your record and try to figure out exactly where your violation is recorded. Then, if the violation is found, your attorney would have to petition the court for an appearance and essentially have you obtain a hearing where you can pay the fine and have the suspension lifted from your license. You will need to obtain an attorney in the state which issued the suspension, since it is their system that is holding up your right to drive.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
could i ask for a referal in texas, maybe a quick google search in san antonio area, i am confused why you listed two different types of possible lawyers
Thank you for your follow-up.

My apologies but I cannot provide you with a specific referral as that would be against site rules. What I can suggest is that you browse the listings at www.avvo.com and www.martindale.com. There you can search by fees, location, experience, and expertise, and also review past client testimonials and peer driven evaluations. The reason I listed 2 types of attorneys is because this is a fairly low level type of a violation, which means that a general practice attorney (the attorney that does a bit of all types of law) should be sufficient in handling it. However you can also choose to obtain what is essentially a specialist and get a criminal defense attorney to review it. Likely the defense attorney may be more expensive.

Good luck.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you
You are most welcome and good luck to you!