Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

In Pennsylvania, is it legal for a private investigator to

In Pennsylvania, is it legal for a private investigator to place a gps tracking device on the outside of a vehicle without the owner's knowledge?
Thank you for your question. I happen to be a Pennsylvania licensed expert and will do my best to assist you.

No, it is NOT legal--it is a criminal trespass on the personal property of an another. If the vehicle is owned by multiple parties and one of those parties consents, it would be a different story, but being a private investigator DOES NOT grant that individual additional rights. This is exactly what was ruled as unconstitutional literally a few days ago when the police did it without a warrant, and a private citizen (which is what a PI is) is no different.

Good luck.