Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have a Marriage, Family Therapist practice in California.

I have a Marriage, Family Therapist practice in California. My longtime contracted records and billing person asked me if she could continue her services with me including interacting (getting authorizations, resolving non-payment issues etc.) with insurance companies on my behalf as she prepared for accompaning her husband with his military transfer to Fort Knox, Kentucky. Our verbal agreement at that time was that in the event that she wished to resign that she would help locate and fully train a replacement.
Now although I have a recent email from her stating that she will stick with me until the person (I located) can get on board she is very non responsive. That said; she has all my billing information for over 7 years as well as only she knows the insurance companies' phone, fax, address, contact persons, status of claims, etc and she has not refused but she is not responding to my requests for my information.
What are my options?
Unfortunately, a verbal agreement is not enforceable under the statute of frauds, which requires written agreements in order to be enforced in court. However, she cannot withhold your documents and information as long as you have paid her for what she is owed. If she is not turning over material that belongs to you and will not contact you to make arrangements to turn them over to you, then your last recourse would be to file suit for "replevin" in the superior court in KY where she and the property are located and get the court to order her to surrender your property to you.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”