JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

can I sue my wifes boyfriend for emotional damages in neva

Customer Question

can I sue my wifes boyfriend for emotional damages in nevada
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 5 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

Are you asking if he can be sued for interfering in your marriage?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Unfortunately, the answer is "no." The reason is because, in 1979, the Nevada legislature passed a law abolishing the right to sue for "alienation of affections."

The law is: NRS 41.380 Causes of action abolished. All civil causes of action for breach of promise to marry, alienation of affections, and criminal conversation, are hereby abolished; but this section does not abolish any cause of action for criminal conversation which accrued before July 1, 1979.

I wish very much that I could offer you an answer that was more favorable to your circumstances, but the law seems to be pretty clear. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

I hope you understand.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.