Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
18539850

I have a ticket in CA for late registration. But its not my

Customer Question

I have a ticket in CA for late registration. But it's not my car and I want driving. It's was placed on my record by mistake. I found out after the $25 had been increased to $800 and sent to collections. I don't want to pay it and had moved to UT before I found out now my license is suspended because I refuse to pay it. Now my license expires in 2 months. My question is can I then get a Utah license after that happens or will I have to pay the 800 before hand?
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

Every state reports to a national registry. If you receive a ticket or license suspension, that ticket or suspension is reported into the registry. Then, if you apply for a license in another state, that state will check with the registry to see if you are eligible for a license. If not, then no license will be issued.

In this case, California has issued a suspension of your license and reported that suspension to the registry. If you apply for a license in Utah, or anywhere else, they will check with the registry, locate the suspension and deny you a license.

I regret that my answer is unfavorable, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than a truthful response.

Please let me know if anything requires clarification.

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Didn't adress that fact that's it going to expire and no longer have a licence CA license. So far as not told me anthing I det already know.
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

Please understand that I only know what you tell me. If you don't tell me something, I am left to assume that I am providing new information. As to the license expiring, this is irrelevant. If you have a ticket or a suspension, it will be reported to the registry as I detailed above. So, regardless of the license expiring, the suspension will still be there and will still prevent you from obtaining a license.