Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I NEED TO KNOW IF I CAN PLEAD NOLO CONTRENDE? I SUPPOSEDLY

I NEED TO KNOW IF I CAN PLEAD NOLO CONTRENDE? I SUPPOSEDLY TOOK A BOX OF CAMDY FROM A VIDEO STORE THAT I HAVE BEEN A MEMBER OF SINCE OPENING. I WROTE A $25 CHECK AND SENT IT TO THEM AND EXPLAINED THAT I WOULD HELP RECOUP FOR A BOX OF CANDY AND THAT I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. I JUST THOUGHT I WAS DOING A GOOD DEED. CAN I JUST DONT SHOW FOR COURT? I CAN NOT GET A LAWYER AS THIS IS A SMALL TOWN AND I KNOW ALL THE LAWYERS AND MY BROTHER IS ONE. I ALSO KNOW THE JUDGES IN PERSON OFF THE BENCH
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Have you been charged with a crime?

Did you actually take that box of candy that you're accused of stealing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes i suppose so as i had to go to the jail and be booked and released today. court is for feb. 14th. no i do not remember as i have a vague source of dementia
thank you for your follow-up.

Do you know what exact crime have you been charged with?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I AM TAKING A GOOD GUESS AT PETTY THEFT?

Expert:  replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up.

It is never a good idea to plead guilty or nolo contendre to any crime, especially if you are not even sure if you even comitted the crime that you had been charged with.

I would suggest that you plead not guilty and if you are unable to obtain a private criminal defense attorney, the court will appoint one for you and this attorney will be able to evaluate the case against you and either put up a defense for you or negotiate a plea deal which might allow you to plead to a lesser offense and/or violation which only carries some type of fine or it is even possible that if you are suffering from a dementia that the court would determine that you are not competent to stand trial.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.

Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated!