Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

While on vacation, my vet approved loperamide for my smooth

While on vacation, my vet approved loperamide for my smooth collie while he was at the kennel, and he wound up in the vet's hospital. Dog is OK now, but who's liable for the vet bill?
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.

I am glad to hear your dog is doing well now.

Please tell me what the terms were while at the kennel regarding treatment while boarding? Was it specified that if something occurred you would be notified and permission would be sought for any treatment?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

On Mon. 12/19/11 I delivered my collie Sirius to Morris Animal Inn for a six day stay. That evening he developed diarhea and on Tues. Morris called my vet, Dr. Cayles at Oldwick Animal Hospital, for approval to administer loperamide. Dr. Cayles recounts her response to Morris as, "Yes, do you know the dosing?" Morris said yes. Dr. Cayles assumed that their staff vet was aware of the MDR1 gene mutation in herding breeds and would act accordingly. Instead, Morris staff saw a green light to give Sirius a weight-appropriate dose.

On Wed. I received a call that Sirius had been delivered by Morris to Oldwick Animal Hospital for a loperamide drug reaction. Dr. Cayles caringly delivered Sirius through a very bad ordeal, and there he stayed until we could get back on Sat. 12/24.

Someone had dropped the ball in the care of my dog, and it seemed like it was my good vet Dr. Cayles. So I was surprised when I received a bill for $909.

Morris has a customer agreement covering vet care under warranty for a $1/day charge up to a max of $500 per incident. I have faxed the vet's invoice for their review and await reply.

A casual internet search yields many references to "white feet don't treat" with loperamide. I almost lost my beloved dog. To get a vet bill after this is to heap insult upon injury--or am I missing something?
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.

It appears it was taken for granted that Morris knew the proper dosage. And the vet should have made sure they understood what that was. It appears negligent on the Vet's part.

I suggest you can tell your Vet you are not going to pay and they can sue you. If they sue you, then you will need to work with a local attorney to get the case law necessary to support that they were negligent and therefore should not be issuing the bill.

If you have further questions, you may post them here and I will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a JA Subscription, Please ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I get credit for my time and information. Thank you