Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Ive asked you questions before. I filed for relief from default

I've asked you questions before. I filed for relief from default in filing a timely notice of appeal with the appellate division of the superior court. The clerk wouldn't file it. She said it was too late for an appeal. I thought that was it, but apparently somebody looked at it and took it to the appellate panel. They ordered it filed and then denied it. So now can I appeal for relief to the Court of Appeal? Do I write it up as a motion for relief?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
If you were too late for the appeal and the court denied you, then filing another appeal of the denial now would likely be denied as well. However, you are free to try to file again out of time to the Court of Appeal and justify in your appeal why your first appeal was out of time in addition to your other grounds for appeal. It is not a strong chance you will win this appeal given the first appeal was out of time (even though the clerk took it and it somehow got filed).

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was shocked that it got ordered filed. I thought it was over, too. The Appellate Division of the Superior Court has no authority to grant relief so that is why it was denied. But the Court of Appeal and the California Supreme Court has granted relief in similar cases. So it is a motion that I file, right?
No, it is an appeal (which is not really a motion, it is an appeal and appellate brief) to the Court of Appeals that appeals the denial of the Appellate Division.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I title that?
You title your document Appeal From Superior Court Appeals Division and you would include a Memorandum in Support of Appeal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There's no mention of how to file an "appeal" on the Court's rules section. They have Writs and briefs, and motions only. The Clerks at the Court of Appeal are really exacting about these things. Also, I have to make sure the document has the correct colored cover, etc., or they just want take it. It costs alot of money to pull that together. Are you sure it's titled, "Appeal from. . ." and not "Motion for relief. . ."
It is titled, "Appeal from the XYZ Superior Court Appeals Division" and attached to it is "Appellant's Opening Brief"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Appellant's opening brief or Memorandum. Those are two different things.
The title I just gave you above in quotations is the proper title.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law