John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
18914223

I live hours away from My sister and mother, who live together. They

Customer Question

I live hours away from My sister and mother, who live together.

They have been having financial difficulties. They do not use the bank online, since they are not familiar enough with the internet. When my mother or sister ask me for help, I have been transfering money online, from my home, from their points visa account to their primary checking account, so that they can pay their bills and avoid having their checks bounce. I did not know that their was an error with the points visa account.

The Points Visa account was not created by them. I did not open that account either. They have lost much money and are trying to get the bank to refund the lost money. The account is frozen.

Is myself, my mother, or my sister in legal trouble, if I testify to the bank that I was the one who transfered the money from the Points visa account to their checking account to save them from financial disaster. Is my sister and mth

Is my mother or sister in legal trouble if they testify that they asked me to use the internet from my location to save them from bouncing checks and getting overdrafts?

What are the consequences and what should I do?
Expert:  John Legal replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer. I will answer as clearly as possible. I do ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

I do not understand what is wrong with the point visa account? Are you saying it was not their account?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What does:

Already Tried:

nothing

??

Again, I do not understand what is wrong with the point visa account?

Are you saying it was not their account?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is their account, but they did not open the account. I did not open the account. It was an error. I didn't know that the account was in error.
You are not in legal trouble for using the account to protect them from overdraft if you had their permission to access their account. The only people that could come after you for accessing the account are your sister and mother.

With that said, since you did access the point visa account with their permission they cannot now say that they do not owe the money because it was opened by an error. The fact is that they took steps (through you of court) to take money from that account that they knew that they would have to pay back.

This is an entirely different story if they are saying that they never gave you permission to access their account and to transfer funds from the points visa account. If that is the case then you have committed a civil violation that your sister and mother can sue you over. If you did not have permission you have also committed multiple crimes of theft.

I am cannot provide you with specific legal advise. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your inquiry. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

I hope you find my response helpful, please click on the ACCEPT button. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work assisting you. Clicking Accept will not close your question. You can still ask, and I will respond, to follow-up questions if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required but they are appreciated!

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you may already know unless you tell me. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. It is my job to give you an understanding of the state of the law, not just tell you what you want to hear. I ask that you respect that fact that you received an accurate account of the law by clicking Accept and giving me positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

Finally, I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with “Dear John…”