LawBeagle, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney

How would you write a case brief of U.S. v. Katz, including

How would you write a case brief of U.S. v. Katz, including facts, procedural history, issue, rule, analysis, and conclusion. Can you please label each component of the brief so that I may know which is which for my reference. Thanks I will add a bonus for this one.
Expert:  LawBeagle replied 4 years ago.

Sure no, problem. I will have it for you soon. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you are very welcome
Expert:  LawBeagle replied 4 years ago.
Here you go!
Facts: The petitioner, Katz, was convicted of transmitting illegal gambling information over telephone lines from Los Angeles to Boston and Miami, in violation of federal law. Katz had used a public telephone booth to do so. After conducting surveillance, the FBI placed a listening device to the top of the telephone booth and recorded the conversations. The tapes from the phone calls were then entered into evidence at trial.
Procedural History: The petitioner had moved to have the evidence suppressed under the Fourth Amendment, which the trial court denied. Petitioner appealed to the Court of appeals, who upheld the conviction and held that the evidence was admissible on the grounds that there was no physical entrance in to the Petitioner’s home. The Supreme Court granted certiorari.
Issue: Does the Fourth amendment protect a person’s privacy rights to telephone conversations conducted in a phone booth?
Rule: The Fourth Amendment protects against unreasonable search and seizures, and follows a person, not a place.
Analysis: Even in a public place, a person can have a reasonable expectation of privacy. A person has no reasonable expectation of privacy for things that they broadcast to the word. In this case, a person in a phone booth could expect the protection of the Fourth Amendment because he can rightly assume that the words he is saying will not be heard by the public. The Fourth Amendment protects persons, not areas from unreasonable search and seizure. The taping of the phones constitute a search under the Fourth Amendment, and were obtained without a warrant.
Conclusion: The evidence obtained and contained on the tapes is inadmissible under the Fourth Amendment. The conviction was overturned.
Let me know if you have any other specific questions! I hope this helps. If my answer has been informative, please click the green Accept button, as I will not receive credit for my response unless you do so. I am happy to answer follow up questions. After you hit Accept, type your response and hit reply, and I will get right back with you. Thanks again!

I love working with the same customers, as this provides a better experience for you. If you would like to request me for another question, simply put "FOR Legal4Info" at the beginning of your future questions.

DISCLAIMER Just Answer experts DO NOT provide legal services. In order to obtain a legal opinion or advice, you must retain the services of a licensed attorney located in your state. The answer provided is FOR INFORMATIONAL OR RESEARCH PURPOSES only, and does not constitute legal advice or a legal opinion AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON TO MAKE LEGAL DECISIONS. YOUR QUESTIONS AND MY RESPONSE ARE NOT CONFIDENTIAL, as they are viewable by the public. No attorney-client relationship is formed. By viewing my response, and/or clicking the "Accept" button, you are agreeing to these terms.