FloridaLawyer
FloridaLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Former State Prosecutor, criminal defense, family law, real estate, & civil litigation
11366270

In Colorado, does being placed on an M-1 psych hold for 72

In Colorado, does being placed on an M-1 psych hold for 72 hours considered an actual "commitment" for the purposes of firearm purchase? At the end of the hold, deemed "no diagnosis or further risk", and released prior to the actual 72 hours. I know the federal law doesn't count the 72 hours without further "certifcation" or "adjudication" - but does Colorado? and if so - are there avenues for relief? The entire episode started as a pain crisis - with LE determining to have me held "for observation". No charges or issues of violence, etc.

Hello JA Customer,

I am an expert here at Just Answer and I would be happy to answer your question.

As you may know, Colorado dose not require you to obtain a gun permit in order to purchase any rifle, shotgun or handgun. While some states specifically prohibit the sale of firearms to persons who have previously been subject to an "involuntary commitment" or persons of "unsound mind", the State of Colorado has no specific language related to a purchaser's sanity. The only laws in Colorado relate to felony convictions, domestic violence and persons under the age of 18.

In fact, the concealed carry permit in Colorado doesn't even address a person's mental state but the Sheriff can deny a permit based on any "documented previous behavior".

I hope this helps, best of luck!

If I have answered your question, please click accept so that I can earn credit for my answer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks very much!
You're welcome and thanks for the bonus!