Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Can a person w/Power of Attorney be sued for money owed, or

Can a person w/Power of Attorney be sued for money owed, or should the person represented by POA be sued for money owed in the state of Ga?

Where there are two siblings of a living parent w/dementia, which sibling has legal authority to apply for POA w/out consulting the other.
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.

Absolutely not. A Power of Attorney holder is an agent, which means they simply represent the party that is the debtor. The agent cannot be sued, for they are simply acting on the debtor's behalf and do not incur any liability. 31-36-1, et seq.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work – I receive no credit for my time with you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you need more information, please use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction. There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, if we continue the conversation. If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.