How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask NateLawAnswers Your Own Question
NateLawAnswers, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10685
Experience:  Over 8 years of legal practice.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
NateLawAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i was arrested and charged with criminal trespass and defiant

Resolved Question:

i was arrested and charged with criminal trespass and defiant trespass. what are the penalties i should expect
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  NateLawAnswers replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome to

Criminal Trespass itself is merely a summary offense.

Defiant Trespass under 18 Pa.C.S.A.§3503(b) carries a variety of possible punishments depending on the circumstances of the trespass.

"Except as provided in paragraph (1)(v), an offense under this subsection constitutes a misdemeanor of the third degree if the offender defies an order to leave personally communicated to him by the owner of the premises or other authorized person. An offense under paragraph (1)(v) constitutes a misdemeanor of the first degree. Otherwise it is a summary offense."

Unless you have an awful record, you are looking at a period of probation for these offenses.

If you require more information, I will be happy to follow up with you. In the meantime, please remember to click Accept so that I get credit for my time assisting you. If my answer has been especially helpful, please also consider a suitable BONUS.

And remember, I want you satisfied, so if I can help you further, please ask so that you can provide Positive Feedback once we've addressed your legal question to your satisfaction.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the "grade" of my criminal trespass is listed as F2. does that mean it's a felony? and if so what does that mean for my record? also would a lawyer possibly be able to lower my charges? my record is clean
Expert:  NateLawAnswers replied 5 years ago.
Yes, it would be. I gathered from your initial question that this was a simple trespass. It appears to be under 18 Pa.C.S.A.§3503(a), which is a second degree felony. Still, if you have no record, it is likely you're looking at probation, not prison time.

A lawyer could possibly negotiate a reduction in the sentence and since you have no record, potentially get an outcome under theAccelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD) act, which would allow you to expunge these from your record once probation is completed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
you have been very helpful i have one more question i'm assuming there is a fine associated with these charges. any guess on what that may be? also i read this online about criminal trespass
(ii) breaks into any building or occupied structure
or separately secured or occupied portion thereof.
(2) An offense under paragraph (1)(i) is a felony of the
third degree, and an offense under paragraph (1)(ii) is a
felony of the second degree.
(3) As used in this subsection:
"Breaks into." To gain entry by force, breaking,
intimidation, unauthorized opening of locks, or through
an opening not designed for human access.
i did not cause any damage i hopped a short fence
"likely" no jail time did not but me at ease. with both charges how "likely" is it that i do not do time
Expert:  NateLawAnswers replied 5 years ago.
I think if you just hopped a fence you have a better shot at getting this reduced to a misdemeanor all the way around. I do not think you should be concerned about jail time.

The potential fine varies depending on what you are convicted of. The range is from $500.00 for a summary offense to tens of thousands for felonies. Fines are usually not favored by the courts and are often not imposed, so I would suggest you not worry too much about the possibility of a fine.
NateLawAnswers and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you very much you were very helpful