Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

I am an IT contractor. I have engaged in an opportunity where

I am an IT contractor. I have engaged in an opportunity where the contract states I don't receive payment for the first four weeks. I would recieve these funds on the over 4 weeks after the contract completed. The contracting firm is making me a little nervous.

-Is this an common\accepted practice in an IT contracts?
-What rights do I have to collect this money in full or could there be any reason they chose to not pay me. It is approx. $8200.00.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Good afternoon. If that what the contract provides, then you're pretty much stuck with this payment schedule. This is not typical, but not totally unusual. If you do not get paid, you would absolutely have the right to file a claim against them. Then, once you were awarded a judgment in your favor, if they didn't pay you at that point, you could have the sheriff serve a summons on them for a debtor examination. That forces them to meet you in court and answer questions under oath about their assets. After you obtain that information you have the power to attach bank accounts, and/or have the sheriff seize other property to satisfy the debt.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.