Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have a multi-part question. Im a student considering starting

I have a multi-part question. I'm a student considering starting a Corporation that will build websites and web-based / mobile-based software applications while I'm still in school.

Is it possible for the corporation I start to pay for my education and deduct it from the taxes of the company? If it is possible, would it make more sense to do it that way or would it make more sense to just deduct it at an individual income tax level?

I will need to use software from Adobe. I've spoken with a sales rep and they say the terms of purchasing the student version of their software, which costs about $370 on amazon.com vs $1800 for the normal commercial edition, say that I can't transfer the license to a corporation, nor can I have the corporation pay for it, but I can use it commercially. I'm concerned about using software purchased by me personally as a way to pierce the corporate veil.

Is this a valid concern? If this is a valid concern, is there a way to protect myself while still using student edition of the software without it being a huge nightmare? Right now, I'm thinking that I could possibly sub-contract the work out to myself personally and have the corporation take responsibility for the work, but that sounds like a lot of work.
You would have to prove that the payment for your education is a necessary business expense for the corporation to deduct the payment, but then the payment would become income to you as it is a payroll benefit you are receiving from the company. This means you have to prove the education you are obtaining is in the same line as your corporation and the education is necessary to further your business and it does raise a red flag for audits.

The use of the software, you can make personal use of the software license you purchase even if you are using it to do work for your corporation as long as you use it personally and the other members of the corporation are not using it you are not violating any licenses.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
First of all thanks for the quick answer about the educational expenses.

I want to clarify my question with regards XXXXX XXXXX software:

I've read a lot of horror stories about people not following corporate formalities enough or having enough separation between them as a person and the corporation--enough to make me cautious.

Would using software that I would have to pay for personally, which would be registered in my name--not the company's name, be able to be considered evidence of lacking that kind of corporation vs person separation, and therefore would that allow someone to pierce the corporate veil and sue me personally for software developed and owned by the corporation?

In a broader sense--from a legal/asset-protection/corporate veil perspective, is it ok for someone in a corporation to use software owned by them personally on a corporate computer as long as it's used only by that person personally?
Using you personal software personally for your corporate work is not sufficient to pierce any corporate veil. It is even fine for employees to use their own personal software for their employment AS LONG AS the registered user is the one using it and it is not being used by others in the company.