Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

The arrears on the mortgage is $45,000. What is the maximum

Customer Question

The arrears on the mortgage is $45,000. What is the maximum jail time i could serve. Also I was supposed to begin a job in Ga Jan 2, 2012 and the court would not excuse me. I don't know whether the employer will hold the job for me
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
The problem with contempt of court is that the time in jail is up to the judge's discretion and they can make it whatever they choose. It can be 1 day to 30 days or more and it really is not possible to predict. With your defense of his refusing to cooperate you may get no jail time. You have no choice but to appear in court, whether it is a problem with your job or not, and failing to show up after the court refused to excuse you would be a way to guarantee the court would give you jail time.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”