How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 114135
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The gas company turned off my gas, & neighbors, for rain had

Resolved Question:

The gas company turned off my gas, & neighbors, for rain had got to someones gas line. 1:05 AM my gas wa turned back on. This was a Monday, Thursday afternoon I couldn't breathe right, I thought it was my asthma, I go into the basement, as I opened the garage door, the heavy smell of gas made me call the gas company. The 1st gas man had not tightened the gas box tightly, & a new cap was placed on or in the box. My house could of blew up, caught a fire, & the gas man said I could of gone to sleep & not woke up. I have stayed jittery every since. I am a senior citizen. Do I have a complaint? Thank You.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
You do have a claim for negligence against the gas company. Unfortunately, it is not likely going to be a very high value because you suffered no actual physical injury and no actual damage and any damage award you would receive would be based on actual damages you received. Thus, while you have a complaint that you could file and you could even sue, the value would likely be less than $1500 as a nuisance settlement.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
For Paulmjd, I was taken off of SSI, because my Father past, I am his Benificiary, 2007, Dad left me his house, &, some money, & 2 small stocks, which most of this time, &, now is receiving little money. What do I do? I can't try for SSI., until I am completely penniless. I have no where else to go, I moved here from Massachusetts, it's to expensive there, for me to live. My dad had said, he left enough for the rest of my life to live off of. This is certainly untrue, I have a few thousand to live off of. I used up most of the money fixing this house, from new wiring, ( a electrical wall fire), a new furnace,(it was burning out) New stairs front & back of house, Cracked, broke, chipped, unbalanced), I didn'tant to be sewed, if someone fell on the stairs. I had insurance with Hartford, had to get a new company (HomeServe), after, a pipe broke in the basement from the sewer line, ( flooded the basement, & a huge tree fell on the house), Hartford repaired the roof, & ceiling of house, then let me go. Still have Home Serve after fire. Paying for insurance, & the amount for this house lot yearly, electricity, gas, & water, telephone, food for me & my cat & dog. I don't, & can't drive, take a taxi for appointments, & shopping etc. What can I do? My doctor says she doesn't know how she can help me. I need some kind of assistance, (Help). Thank you. I thought since the gas company had messed up I thought I could get something, much more for such an error on their part, & scaring the heck out o me.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
If you are unable to work and you need assistance you need to go to social services and you also need to try to apply for Social Security Disability on your own. If you can work but cannot find work, then social services has assistance programs for you to try and if you only have a few thousand then this should be under their income limits to provide some assistance. Unfortunately, these are the only things you can do and the gas company making this error is not going to be like hitting the lottery for you, their liability is limited and because no injury occurred I am afraid it just is not worth that much.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It states Just Ask. I'm over the income limit, & thought for neglegient errors I could receive more than $1,500 for a unexpected, unecessary, careless act, don't play the lottery, so I wouldn't think about hitting the lottery.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry that you are in this situation, but for court's to award money in these cases you have to prove actual damages and absent any actual injury the court will not just award you a large sum of money, they will award you damages that you actually incurred and that is just the way the law works.

If you are over the income limit, but still need some assistance financially you need to also try some of the local religious groups as they do provide some assistance temporarily to people in your type of situation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I know a large amount of money wouldn't be paid for no injury, &, or damages, it was a question. Remember, I just asked!
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
I understand you and remember, I did just answer you and the law is what it is and we do not want you to go away mislead.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I undertand, but, I have 29 days to ask questions. If one arrives, I'll again Just Ask. Thank You.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
You are still expected to click on accept as if you do not the experts never get compensated for their time with you and with a history of not accepting questions experts will begin not responding to your questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
To PaulMJD, This I don't understand. I talked with some man (email) , he said to not press accept answer, until my 29 days are up, or my account would be closed. I know, &, want you to get paid, but, I don't want to lose my chances to ask questions, that I paid for. If I press except answer, can I return back to just ask for 29 days, & still have my paid account. If it does close what number do I call to speak to someone about my account? Thank You.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
You need to contact customer service again, but that is not how this site works. You can contact customer service through the "help" link at the bottom right of the home page.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
To PaulMJD, I am still on the telephone with just ask, when my question about my sccount is answered, I'll press accept answer. Again, Thank You.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you