Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

Can I file Bankruptcy to acheive forgiveness for student loans,

Customer Question

Can I file Bankruptcy to acheive forgiveness for student loans, if repaying said loans will create an extreme financial hardship for me & my family? I am 72, widowed, with health issues (vision-macular degeneration, squamus cell cancers,arthritis). I have no retirement pension, or other means of support other than my current teaching position (charter school-Kindergarten teacher) & husband's social security. I support two adult children;one a cancer survivor, the other is partially disabled & has a congenital orthopedic condition. I live in a govt. subsidized apartment, & own no property. I do have a car & making payments on it. Paying almost $1000.00 per month on student loans is virtually impossible for me to do.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Good morning. Unfortunately, bankruptcy does not discharge student loans. I'm sorry!

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
In reading over the Forgiveness section of Student Loans, Bankruptcy is listed as one of the remedies for extreme hardship re: repayment of said loans. I don't understand your answer. I was expecting more of an in depth explanation as well as guidance as to how to approach student loan ombudsman.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
I will opt out and perhaps another expert can help you. Take care.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
No worries.