Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

i divorced in ct in 2007. I was responsible for paying the

i divorced in ct in 2007. I was responsible for paying the mortgage an fell behind due to loss of income. I received a settlement from my moms death and used the funds for home repairs and bills. i applied for a loan modifcation but was denied because my ex refused to quitclaim. dec 2010 the judge found me in contempt and set a cash bail of 45,000. i spent 2 weeks in jail.
she then lowered the bail to 5000 which i borrowed from a friend who is saving for her daughters wedding. I now have to appear in court again jan 4th 2012. I live in ga and this is a great hardship. My attornery petitioned that i not appear but was denied. My question is can the judge send me back to jail
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the judge can send you back to jail for contempt of court for not complying with the terms of the divorce decree. If you require your husband's cooperation to modify the mortgage, this is a valid defense for your attorney to raise here and seek to get the court to order your husband to cooperate with you getting the modification, as part of any divorce agreement is that the two spouses are expected by the court to cooperate with one another to accomplish the terms of the divorce settlement order and ask the court to order him to cooperate to allow you to try to obtain a modification or refinance.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”