Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My pet was badly injured in the eyes, by a petco product that

My pet was badly injured in the eyes, by a petco product that is sold in the eye care section. We placed the product in her eyes and only does it say in very small letters on the back of the bottle for external use only ( a hair whitener). She received bad ulcers from this product, and no one will return my calls from their main offices. The emergency hospital I took her to said this product is very mis-leading. What are my options?? The cost of her having to see the doctor everyday until her eyes heal up are stacking up and it been a week since the injury happened and they steal look pretty bad. Please advise me on what can be done?? Thanks!
In a product liability claim for failure to warn, which is what you are claiming here, you have to prove that the notice was inadequate and upon proving this then you would be entitled to the actual damages you have incurred for the damage to your property as a result of using their product. Dogs are considered property, so this would be no different than if you used the product on your floor and it damaged your floor, the actual damages you incurred would be all that is recoverable. You have a claim and since they did give a warning you would have to argue the warning was inadequate because the warning was not visible and placed in a place that was not conspicuous to the user combined with the fact it was sold in an eye care section. If they do not settle you would have to sue the manufacturer of the product as well as the store for placing the product in a section for eye care products.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”