INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

Being a contractor, I performed work for a family member (installed

Being a contractor, I performed work for a family member (installed an inground pool and deck) and they never filed any permits or installed the proper alarms or gates required by code after telling them what was required. eventually i filed a wriiten complaint with the building dept using his neighbors name. I also called for an update and they have my phone number logged and know my last name on my wireless account. I am concerned that they could Involve me although my cell phone is used by others also Thank you
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 2 years ago.

INFOLAWYER :

Good morning and happy new years.

INFOLAWYER :

what specifically are you concerned about?

INFOLAWYER :

an agency review?

INFOLAWYER :

Looking forward to your response to my initial clarification questions

Customer:

no the building dept/ code enforcement dept which i intially called to put in a verbal complaint said i had to file a wriiten complaint for them to inspect the forementioned violation so i didnt want to sign my name on complaint due to the fact that if my family member would see that i filed the complaint we would have a huge family fight, So i filed using a neighbors name and signed their name . I realize this wasnt good but i felt i didnt have a choice since the pool was left exposed and worried young children could drown . I also called after filing complaint and used my cell phone which they now have my number and last name they also said that the neighbor that i filed the complaint under wanted to press charges on me for doing this but all they have is a cell # ?? not sure this could go anywhere should i be concerned? thanks

INFOLAWYER :

You did the right thing, and I do not see a real likelihood of them pursuing you based on these facts. In the future though, you want to wait to perform until you have seen the permits have been secured. As technically you should have waited for that. Typically in these situations, any review will focus on ensuring permits are now obtained and the location is secure.

Customer:

I realize that and normally always optain permits myself or dont begin job without them. My concern again was the fact that i had to use another persons name and now hear from my family member that he received info from the building dept that they had my number and i had called saying i was the neighbor looking for an update on the violation , building dept said that actual neighbor was an attorny and wanted to press charges on me , I would think that this is a stretch based on they only prof they have is a call log with my cell # XXXXX i was the neighbor , whose to say it was me on the phone and not another person (although the account is in my name but its my business phone)

INFOLAWYER :

but that does not appear the case here

INFOLAWYER :

That is indeed a stretch, as the neighbor is unlikely to pursue, has no injury or real standing to complain, and not something normally pursued

INFOLAWYER :

There would be a concern if a family member by contrast was dissatisfied with you

INFOLAWYER :

and sought to sue you for breach of contract

INFOLAWYER :

the DOB usually does not get involved in pursuing the claim further so I would not be concerned

INFOLAWYER :

I am a NY lawyer

Customer:

thats a relief, thanks was just trying to do the right thing , i also did the job for free (it was my brother in law.

INFOLAWYER :

Have a good new years day

INFOLAWYER :

Kindly click accept for the answer when ready

INFOLAWYER :

that is how I get credit by JA

INFOLAWYER :

If I can clarify anything else, of course, ask me

Customer:

thank you again

INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience: Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses