MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

a consignor at my work had some things stolen. around 1000

a consignor at my work had some things stolen. around 1000 dollars worth of merchandise. The store does not keep an inventory of items brought in by dealers / consignors. The dealer came in on a wednesday morning and claimed the items were missing. No police report was filed by either the dealer or the store. The next day, Thursday the dealer provided me with a list of the missing items. I told the dealer that I was not going to do anything until i had spoken with all of my employees to see who had looked at the dealers items, or if anyone had seen anything - then we would see about filing a report. That Sunday, the dealer came in and moved all of his merchandise out of the store. He and his wife were both upset, and in the process of trying to calm down the situation, I told the dealer that I had called to have a report filed but noone could come out until monday, which would have given me enough time to speak with all of my employees in order to be sure that the knives were actually missing and that I had all of the story before filing a report. I had not actually called, and was only trying to calm a situation. Am i liable for any legal issue in this? The dealer called the police on sunday and we filed a report. I cooperated and have done everything i was asked by police. The officer who followed up with me was very upset about me telling the dealer that noone was able to come fill out a report on the Friday. They were very accusatory, but did I break any law?
Expert:  MShore replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Did you state that the police could not come out until Monday to take your report, or were you referring to your insurance company or some other entity?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I said that the police werent able to come out that friday. That was it. Didnt really say anything other than that. Just that noone was able to come out when I called. An that I was going to have them come out on monday.
Expert:  MShore replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX not break a law, though this misrepresentation would not serve you well should the consignor wish to sue you as it would be considered an act of dishonesty (and more likely that you would engage in other acts of dishonesty such as stealing). Please let me know if you need additional guidance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would they be likely to sue myself or the company I work for? Would they be able to likely obtain more than the amount of the theft?
Expert:  MShore replied 2 years ago.
The company you work for, and could obtain more than the amount of the theft, they could also claim punitive damages based on your actions in not telling the truth.
MShore, Attorney
Experience: Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  MShore replied 2 years ago.
Can you explain how you find the quality lacking?