John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
18914223

Found out yesterday that my ex-girlfriend was reconnecting

Customer Question

Found out yesterday that my ex-girlfriend was reconnecting with an old boyfriend while I continued to be in the dark and I continued to spend thousands of dollars on our relationship. Can this be grounds for grand larceny ? How do I get phone records ?
Expert:  John Legal replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for trusting Just Answer. As an attorney I will answer as clearly as possible. I ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

Unfortunately not. Just because she is lying to you does not negate the fact that the money you spent were gifts. The courts have not looked behind the personal relationships between individuals to impose criminal liability with regard to lies told in those relationships.

I am cannot provide you with specific legal advise. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your inquiry. I hope you find my response helpful, please click on the ACCEPT button. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work assisting you. Clicking Accept will not close your question. You can still ask, and I will respond, to follow-up questions if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required but they are appreciated!

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you may already know unless you tell me. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. It is my job to give you an understanding of the state of the law, not just tell you what you want to hear. I ask that you respect that fact that you received an accurate account of the law by clicking Accept and giving me positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with “Dear XXXXX…”

My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I am in the know that she is currently in deep financial debt and is continuing to rack of credit card debts, do I need to protect myself by getting local law enforcement engaged ? Also, on the phone records, can a private investigation help or would I have to work thru the court system for a subpoeana ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I probably did noy click on the correct button, but need additional information. John's response was appropriate !
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. Give me a moment to review your replies.
Are you saying that the credit card debt and any other debt is in your name as well?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Fortunately for me, the debt is soley in her name. But I am concerned that she is buying things with the intention of filing bankruptcy to clear her debts.

With the debt in her sole name then you are not civilly or criminally liable for any of her actions. You would only have some liability if your name was on the debt.

If she is still making payments and using credit that she still has then there really is nothing criminal that she is doing.

Be very careful to not place your name on any of her debt.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Last Question and I will go away.

To access phone records, what does it take to get a subpoeana ?

Thanks John, you have been a great help this morning !

You must have a civil suit filed against the person. Once the civil suit is filed, you can subpoena phone records so long as it applies to the civil suit.

This is not as easy as just applying for a subpoena. The suit must exist first.