JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

how does my girlfrind get a no contact order in california

how does my girlfrind get a no contact order in southern california on her ex boyfriend who has also shoved her in public on two ocasions over past 4 months? should she file assault and battery charges? she lives in MA but comes out to see me in CA. does this cover aall tecnolgy ass well asphysical contact?  can this be exteneded to her family and friends as has sents them messages too.
Submitted: 5 years ago via ExpertLaw.
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of these circumstances. What you are asking about would be a Domestic Violence Restraining Order. The process for obtaining such an order in California (with instructions and forms) is explained at: http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-domesticviolence.htm

She can file assault and battery charges when such events occur (the police should be called right when it happens, not 4 months later).

The order cannot extend to her family/friends. They would have to go to court to file their own orders.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what is a no contact order and how is it different and how do we get one of those?
These orders have different names but they accomplish the same thing: order X person to not have any contact with Y person.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.