J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.
15393114

what happens after a vehicle is repossessed as far as what

what happens after a vehicle is repossessed as far as what can the lender take for actions of any kind?
Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Under California law, the lender can sell the vehicle at public auction. If the vehicle sells for less than the loan amount, it may sue you for the remaining balance of the loan. It then become like any debt, where they can garnish wages or bank accounts over time to collect the judgment amount.

In the meantime, you have a right to have all of your personal property in the vehicle returned. If they do not offer you this opportunity, you can challenge the repossession and any sale. They will also negotiate with you to get back on payment terms, but they will insist on you paying the cost of repossession.

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.