LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.

I was served with a civil suit against a credit card. I do

Customer Question

I was served with a civil suit against a credit card. I do not work my husband draw soccial security. and I am payee on my sons socil security. I don't own anything, we are living with my mother. I talked to the creditor and offered to pay $10 a month and they said not enough. I said I might be able to pay $25 a month again not enough. wnated to know if they could settle for less could I come up with the sum to end this. I told them I didn't know how I could do that. I told them I have to be home with my husband who has parkinsons. I don't know what to do. Please help if some legal advise. carol mckinney
st francouis county, MO
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good evening Carol,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

The simple fact is that even if they sue you---they can not touch your, or your husband's, Social Security income. They are bluffing. If you have no income other than perhaps Social Security, and your husband has the same---and you don't own property or assets---there really is nothing that the creditor can do.

I wish you the best in 2012.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely appreciate your abiding by the honor system as regards Accepting answers. I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can they freeze our banking accounts if my name is on it and what about my sons social security since I am payee on his.