Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
18539850

Tonight December 31, 2011, at 8:30pm (Puerto Rico), Our Ford

Customer Question

Tonight December 31, 2011, at 8:30pm (Puerto Rico), Our Ford Explorer 2001 catch fire in the Engine area. It was a total loss. It was parked and unused for at least the two last days. And was under our Carpot. It has less than 64000 miles on it and everything was Original. Is there is anything that we can do here in Puerto Rico? What should I have to consider before removing the vehicle from my house? Tha damage was the vehicle itself (Complete Loss) and part of the Carpot/Garage that need to be treated and painted (It is Concrete). The VIN # XXXXX XXXXX my email is:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX and alsoXXX@XXXXXX.XXX, contact phone (XXX) XXX-XXXX/ (XXX) XXX-XXXX and my name isXXXXX
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.

You need to report the matter to both your car insurance company and your homeowners insurance company. Between the two insurance companies, they should handle all of your losses, including the damage to the vehicle and the damage to your home.

You haven't mentioned anything that makes me think that the insurance companies may not fulfill their obligation. However, if the claims are proceeding and you become concerned about being fully compensated, you might then think about retaining an attorney to assist with the insurance companies. Absent that though, you shouldn't need any assistance.

Please let me know if anything requires clarification.

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph, Attorney
Experience: I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Joseph, thanks for the advise, I will contact both Insurance Co. But I almost sure that the Car Insurance will not cover this type of situation (Is a 2001 vehicle, and it is an Accident Insurance). My question or doubt is more regarding this type of problem as defect that has been ocurred before and what Ford Motor Co,have done. Are there any Legal Cases or Claims that can be made direct to them?
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.

Ford has had to address quite a few class action lawsuits over the Explorer. However, I believe that they have settled most suits and I am not personally aware of any active class action cases. My thought would be to deal with the insurance companies first to see if they can address all of your concerns first. As to that, the homeowners insurance may handle the entire claim as the incident occurred at your home.

If you decide that things are not progressing as you expect, you might look into the class action idea a bit more. You could do a quick Google search for "ford explorer class action lawsuit" and I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses. If you search a bit, you may find an active lawsuit that fits your needs.