How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Legal Your Own Question
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed a student loan for appox. 8,000 dollars last year.

Resolved Question:

I signed a student loan for appox. 8,000 dollars last year. It was for my neice who came to live with me while she was attending college. She completed one yr. and moved back home. She is now not is school and not paying her loan. I just payed the first bill with a late payment fee because she did not tell me her payments had started. The loan company will not send the bills to me unless she authorizes it. I asked her to but she has not authorized it. I know I have to pay the loan if she does not. Is there any way I can recover any money from her?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  John Legal replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for trusting Just Answer. As an attorney I will answer as clearly as possible. I ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

You can sue her to recover the amounts that you are having to pay under the loan. You are still obligated to the loan company but you can recover from her any money that you are paying out for her loan.

You can only sue her after you have made the payment(s). It would likely make sense to wait until you have made several payments to file suit against her.

I am cannot provide you with specific legal advise. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your inquiry. I hope you find my response helpful, please click on the ACCEPT button. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work assisting you. Clicking Accept will not close your question. You can still ask, and I will respond, to follow-up questions if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required but they are appreciated!

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you may already know unless you tell me. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. It is my job to give you an understanding of the state of the law, not just tell you what you want to hear. I ask that you respect that fact that you received an accurate account of the law by clicking Accept and giving me positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with “Dear XXXXX…”

My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

John Legal and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you