Lawdoctor
Lawdoctor, Lawyer
Experience:  22+ years legal practice including corporate, business, criminal, entertainment and litigation
14932443

Does anyone know if I can adopt a child if my husband does

Customer Question

Does anyone know if I can adopt a child if my husband does not have legal standing. I am a US Citizen. Would the international adoption process of me individually be hindered by
his illegal standing?
Expert:  Lawdoctor replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your question.

Your question is very important to me, but please remember that I can only respond to the information you provide and I do not know your entire situation. My response is limited to what you have written to me and the answer may change with additional facts.

Also, due to site reasons, there are times I am initially only able to see a portion of post, so I apologize in advance if it means that you have to duplicate information.

There may be future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. Now, let’s address your question!

California does allow for International Adoptions, and non-citizens can adopt, however, the issue is the status of your husband. His illegal alien status would interfere with the adoption process. It may not stop the adoption, but it may trigger immigration problems for him. It would be advisable to resolve his status prior to starting the adoption process. He would not need to become a citizen, but getting his VISA or green card would open the way.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Good luck and Godspeed.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.
If I don’t’ answer immediately, I may be off line. If so, I will answer as soon as I come back. If I am online, I may be assisting someone else and will respond as soon as I can. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

If the information that I provided was helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Bonuses are gladly accepted. Thank you and good luck!

Please remember that we have not created an attorney-client relationship, and that my post is not intended to be specific legal advice. The answers given are limited to the information you have provided in your post. For specific legal advice, please consult with an attorney licensed in your state.

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the states of Florida and Mississippi. Accordingly, you acknowledge (1) that we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, and (2) that my post is general information only and not specific legal advice.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I suspected as such. Do you know if I did a PRIVATE adoption in the United States as a single woman if that would be possible?
Expert:  Lawdoctor replied 5 years ago.
Most states allow single parent adoptions, including California. International Adoptions would be controlled by the country of the child's origins as well.