Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Hello, my Hongkong suppliers email account was hacked and

Hello, my Hongkong supplier's email account was hacked and I was made to believe that I need to send payment to a different account because their main bank account was under government audit. Only 2 weeks later that I and supplier found out that there's a third person in our communication. Supplier denied responsibility, I had no choice but to pay again unless I want to sacrifice my deposit. I'm thinking of going to Hongkong and claim my money back from the cheater. How should I proceed?
If you know who the third party is then you can indeed sue the third party, since they are the ones liable to you for the repayment of the money, UNLESS you can prove your supplier knew that this person was taking the money, you would not have any cause of action against the supplier. If you identify the third party then you need to also notify the police for theft and get an attorney in HK to file suit against them.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dearest Paul, thanks for the immediate answer. I only have the company name and bank account info of the third party, but I assume that Hongkong has a strict ID registration. I'd like to know if going there personally is going to help, since so far I've been only talking to people via emails and phone calls. If so, what is the recommended agenda to approaching the case, which party should I make my first contact: bank, police or attorney? Do U have any kind of reference that I can read coherent to my issue, or perhaps U know anyone in Hongkong I can get in touch with? The supplier agrees to show up at the police station, bank, or wherever I need his presence to back me up. Last but not least, this happened in November.. Is it still going to be a valid case if I file it in January?

I'll click on the GREEN upon receiving satisfactory answers for my further inquiries above, thanks again.
Yes, and you can report it to the police who can begin the fraud investigation and seek to freeze the account at least. While the police are investigating you need to get an attorney in HK, you should NOT make any contact with the bank at all, they will not give you any information anyhow and they may contact the account holder.

It is not too late but I would not wait too long into January. To get an attorney in HK, please use the same site used by other attorneys, http://www.lexmundi.com