I paid him $1500 out of $1800. AlsoI have been requesting a warranty but to no avail he will not get back to me.
Thanks. You can bring this suit in small claims court without a lawyer. Most of these courts allow you to file the claim on line by filling out a simple complaint form. If not, you simply need to go to the county courthouse to file the form. It is a self-explanatory form and easily completed.
I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!
If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.
If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.
If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.
Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.
I have several questions:
1. How long does it take to go to small claims court?
2. I dont have a completed kitchen what do i do in the mean time?
3. How much can I sue for?
1. You can generally get a hearing scheduled in 15-20 days.
2. You can have someone else finish it and include in your damages any excess costs incurred in doing so.
3. You can sue for any damages you have incurred due to his default.
HI I have two more questions:
1. What do I need for smaill claims court. All I have is a cancelled check. I asked for a contract/warranty however, the contractor walked out and never gave it to me.
2. If I dont have my kitchen updated can I still go to small claims court? Should I have estimates from other contractors
3. What happens if I file a suit and he doesnt show up to court
4. He is licensed with NY i checked this out on the DOS website. does this help me?
1. What do I need for small claims court. All I have is a canceled check. I asked for a contract/warranty however, the contractor walked out and never gave it to me. Take pictures of your kitchen, the check, and any other correspondence you might have ...emails, texts, voicemails, etc.
2. If I dont have my kitchen updated can I still go to small claims court? Should I have estimates from other contractors It doesn't need to be finished, but you should get an estimate from another contractor as to what it costs to finish so that you can quantify your damages.
3. What happens if I file a suit and he doesnt show up to court You will get a default judgment allowing you to attach his assets, including bank accounts.
4. He is licensed with NY i checked this out on the DOS website. does this help me? Yes, it shows that NY is the proper jurisdiction.
I i click accept answer will i get charged again?
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).