NateLawAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Over 8 years of legal practice.

How can I get an international divorce registered?

Expert:  NateLawAnswers replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome to

There is no provision for registering a foreign divorce in Virginia. However, it need not be registered to be valid. Virginia will still recognize a Mexican divorce assuming both parties had notice of the proceedings and were able to participate in the divorce process. All you can do is have it certified as legitimate by the American embassy in Mexico City according to 22 C.F.R. 52. The embassy will attach a seal to it certifying it is a legitimate document of the foreign court.

If you require more information, I will be happy to follow up with you. In the meantime, please remember to click Accept so that I get credit for my time assisting you. If my answer has been especially helpful, please also consider a suitable BONUS.

And remember, I want you satisfied, so if I can help you further, please ask so that you can provide Positive Feedback once we've addressed your legal question to your satisfaction.