Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My son is a sr in high school and has played basketball all

Customer Question

My son is a sr in high school and has played basketball all 4 years. However, last year he didn't get playing time and decided to play for the jv coach. This year the same varsity coach is not giving playing time or even having him practice any team plays. He is only using him for playing the opposing teams defensive playes for the other boys to practice against. This coach, I believe, has an issue with Luke, my son, and the fact that he is Hispanic as he was adopted from Brazil. Last year we talked with the coach and got no where and this year is the same thing. We have a discouraged child and wonder if we have any basis to file a driscimiation against this coach for not giving Luke an opportunity even at practice let alone a game to see what he is capable of on the court. Thanks for your time.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
The issue of playing time in any sport is not a legal issue. No court and no attorney can intercede in this type of matter. The coach of the team has sole discretion on playing time and picking their team and the parents nor the principal has any right to tell the coach otherwise legally. The one exception to this is if you can prove the ONLY reason Luke is not playing is because of his national origin, then you could seek to file a discrimination suit, but it is much more than you just feeling that it is because he is from Brazil, you would need actual evidence showing this is the only reason (comments made by the coach, witnesses etc). Without such actual evidence I am afraid you have no legal case.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”