FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

I live in St. Louis Mo my fiancé resides in California. A few

I live in St. Louis Mo my fiancé resides in California. A few months ago he mailed my engagement ring here and asked me to marry him once became divorced. He has called off the engagement every time he is unhappy with me this last time he told me this long distance relationship is no longer working for him, and asked that I mail his ring back. My question is do I have to give the ring back?
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer,

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

Unfortunately I have to give you bad news. An engagement ring is considered a conditional gift. A gift that is conditioned on the marriage. If the marriage does not take place for any reason, the gift fails and the ring must be returned. That said you do not appear required to pay for postage, insurance or other expenses to do so.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Please use the REPLY button if you have any questions concerning my answer. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site for answering.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This person is currently married does that matter?
It is a question of the specific fact whether this ring was an engagement ring. If it was an engagement ring as indicated by your statement "asked me to marry him once became divorced", my answer stands regardless of the fact that he was married at the time and is still married. If the ring was not in engagement ring, but rather a gift for a birthday or other occasion, you would not be required to return it
FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience: 25 years of experience helping people like you.