Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.

Hi, I have a letter from the FAA proposing to give a fine of

Hi, I have a letter from the FAA proposing to give a fine of $42,000 because they said i gave a dangerous goods to a freight fowarder. I am just a client of the freight fowarder and I do door-door service with him which i pay for. I gave him some items ( shoes , clothes, lace wig and some lace wig glue. I dont participate in the final packaging, because he always do that and i dont sign any doc here, because they are paid for in Nigeria. The Feight forward did not informed me that the lace wig is a dangerous good, which he has enough time to do and also did not notice it on the shipment. On transit the glue was notice, because he was shipping other goods with it and i received a call from the FAA asking if i gave a lace glue to the freight forwarder which i said i did and also explained that it was packed with the intention that the forwarder will do the final packagaing. Now the FAA is saying I offered the goods and my augument is that i offered to the freight foward to do the final packagaing and ship with the shipper. I am a low-income earner, the lace wig glue are 5 bottle on 15ml each. They have requested i get the DGR training which i have paid $300 for, which i do have, my rent is due now. What i want to know is why am I liable here, I have no knowledge about DGR, i did not participate in the actual shipment, the freight forward and the shipper had enough time to verify the items been shipped and contacted me if it required additional charge. I didnt get that. Now it looks like i am now been purnished for the freight forwarder and the shipper mistake

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer

My name isXXXXX am a licensed, practicing Attorney, and I would be glad to help , but need a bit more information, if you do not mind

1. Do you sell these wigs and wig glue to someone in another country ?

2. From whom do you buy these wigs and wig glue ?

3. In what country are these wigs and wig glue manufactured ?

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The wig and wig glue was taken to Nigeria and belonged to a relative

The lace glue was bought online from a website

The clue was manufactured in China

1. Do you normally sell these products to customers in other countries ?

2. Have you ever shipped wigs, wig glue and lace glue to other countries in the past ?

Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I dont sell the lace wig, it was meant for someone eles. This is my first time of shipping this Items. Just as i said, the freight forwarder i gave the Items to, have time to go the goods and did not inform me that the glue need to be shped seperately. So am i at fault here.

Thank you for your additional information.

First, let me say how sorry I am to hear that you find yourself in such a difficult situation,

From the facts you stated, and apparently, the FAA concluded, that regardless of who was the intended recipient of this merchandise, the goods originated with you. As the sender, the law imposes on you the legal obligation to determine if shipping these goods is in violation of any law, and this obligation remains with the seller, regardless of who the intended recipient is.

Although I am sure you did not intend to violate any laws, the FAA does not know that. I beloieve it would be highly beneficial and necessary for you to retain an attorney and have the attorney meet with the FAA officials and explain that this situation was totally accidental, and you never intended to violate any laws. The lawyer can also tell the FAA that this was purely the result of a misunderstanding in that you thought it was the shipper's responsibility to make sure that no law was violated. I am sure that when the FAA hears the explanation, they will better understand the circumstances,

Please be kind enough to press "Accept" so that I receive credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you may ask follow up questions for clarification at no additional charge. Thank you for your understanding,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,

Kindest regards, XXXXX XXXXX Wishes for a safe and happy Holiday Season!