Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

while married my wife was taking large amounts of money from

while married my wife was taking large amounts of money from our corporation. It was more then $8500.00 a month. This was not authorized. she was in charge of the bills and banking. I found out that she was taking money for over two years. My CPA had told me that she requested her checks to be put in a separate envelope,So when picking up our company pay roll checks I never knew she was taking this money.She would later go by the CPA and pick up her check. which was put in her private account. What can I do? Can charges be filed?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

I can absolutely sympathize with your situation. At the same time, I would have to partially concur with the police officer stated that this is indeed and up-hill struggle, although not quite as desperate as the police officer probably made it sound. this appears to be a situation where you can pursue your wife for embezzlement and for breaching her beauty as a fiduciary by being an officer of the company and stealing funds from other partners, including you. Charges can indeed be file but that would be up to the District Attorney's Office. I would suggest that you contact them in the accounting where your business is located, provide them with evidence of the embezzlement, and ask them to investigate and pursue this charge. On the civil front you can sue on behalf of the Corporation and request that the funds be returned back to the business. I would very strongly suggest that the because of the size of the money that was removed without permission, that you consider retaining counsel.

Good luck.