Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

My son got acceptance from a college two days ago. His high

Customer Question

My son got acceptance from a college two days ago. His high school counselor went to his on line application and found out he bragged his activity section. The counselor wants to call this college to report it and punish him by kicking out him from school or probation. I want to know what I can do and what my right is. How can I prevent my son lose his college.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

If youe child essentially lied on his application, which is what he did if he bragged or exaggeratted about his true activity on campus, then he obtained acceptance through fraud. That means that if his online application is accessible by the high school counselor, then the counselor does have the right to contact the school and have them reevaluate your son's acceptance based on the fact that he did not provide proper information in his first application. The only defense here is whether or not his application was private and whether or not the counselor has a right to review his statements. Ultimately the choice of accepting your son is up to the college and regrettably if he did not provide correct information, they can claim that they can rescind or reject him due to the fact that the college provided the original acceptance under false guidelines. Essentially your son is not entitled to this acceptance if the college chooses to withdraw. I wish I had better news for you and it may be wise to discuss this with the counselor directly so as to convince him to not pursue this further.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I know my son's application is private? The counselor told us there is a rumor saying my son bragged his application then she did go into his application.
Thank you for your follow-up.

Some schools allow students to apply privately, meaning that they apply on their own. In that situation the counselor generally does not have the ability or the right to get into that application for review. If, however, your son applied to the school and through their system, then he has no privacy and the counselor has the right to review the application for him or herself. Since your son was talking about his claims in public, it would give the counselor the right to evaluate his information should that information actually exist within school records.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, correction, my son did not brag. The counselor allegedly heard rumors from people that she wont name that my son had falsified his application. And she gave conflicting and confusing stories to my son. At first she said that she did not read his app and was only saying whate she heard from rumors. Now she says that she did indeed read his application but still won't give details of the alleged rumors and spent all of yesterday building a case against my son. How much of this changes the case? Would a cease and desist letter from a lawyer be enough to stop the school from contacting the college momentarily while we build our case?
Thank you for your follow-up.

Actually whether or not it was a rumor or not is irrelevant here. is your son lied or exaggerated on the application, he violated the school's policies and therefore the counselor has every right to pursue a request from the principal and some sort of disciplinary action such as a suspension, and because he applied from the high school, the counselor can contact the college and inform them of the facts. A cease-and-desist letter will not help because the school is not doing anything wrong and therefore you have no grounds to contest this. Is your son did not lie or exaggerate and this is simply a "witchhunt", then you have grounds for a cease and desist letter as well as grounds for defamation of character, but from what it appears, your son did indeed place untrue information in the application which does permit the school to take their own action here.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I need to hire an atternoy for my son?
To be frank, the attorney will not help him here if he did exaggerate his application. Therefore obtaining counsel will simply be a waste of your money. You can still choose to hire an attorney but I do not see this situation resolving favorably for your son that justify the attorney expense.

Good luck.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you!
You are most welcome, and I am sorry for the unwelcome news.