N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983

Suing a county for damages

If you believe a county agency has harmed you and yours greatly, and can back up your claims, do you have the ability to sue that agency? (e.g. are agencies exempt as part of government?) If so, do attorneys ever take such cases on contingency?

Please explain the nature of the claim against the County.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My children have PTSD and are barely able to function after being removed inappropriately by child protective services agents. I can document -- with their own records -- that they more or less completely failed to follow their own procedures in making the decision, and that they removed necessary and appropriate care from my children for diagnosed and well-document medical conditions they were aware of during their stay in foster care. Not only have my children suffered irremediable harm (PTSD can be treated but virtually never goes away), their medical condition has been seriously destabilized, to an extent that six months later they're still unable to attend school regularly despite the best of medical care.
This sounds like a civil rights case, which means you can sue the County and recover attorney fees in addition to actual and general damages

You can get a free consultation from some of the civil rights lawyers listed by location at

I hope this information is helpful.
Thank you for accepting my answer.