Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Experience:  Knowledgeable and Experienced Attorney.
16911602

I have a car whose title I lost during Hurricane Katrina in

I have a car whose title I lost during Hurricane Katrina in 2005.. It was last registered in Louisiana in 2007. The car is a 1995 Saturn SC-2 with only 83,000 miles. Due to a health problem, I cannot drive any more and the car has been in storage in an insulated garage for the past 4 years. I want to sell or donate the car (book value approximately $1200) but when I applied to Louisiana for a legal copy of the title I was reminded that that my estranged ex-wife's name appears as co-owner. We were divorced more than 15 years ago and agreed to my keeping car while she kept our newer 4-dr sedan. What options do I have t sell my car without her cooperation?

Thanks, Andy
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 2 years ago.

Attorney 1 :

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer! I am preparing your response. Please remain online for a few moments, so you can get your answer right away.

Attorney 1 :

If the ownership of the car is specified in the divorce decree, your ex-wife has a legal obligation to sign over title to you. If she does not, she can be held in contempt of court and face the imposition of fines. It has been a long time since the divorce, however, and going through the courts may take a while, though you would be successful. You may be able to convince your ex-wife to sign over title based on the court decree and the fact that singing will allow her to avoid attorney fees and contempt motions and fees. That will be faster and easier for all involved. It makes the most sense for your ex-wife, so it will likely be a successful strategy.

Attorney 1 :

Best of luck!

If you need more information, just let me know and I will be happy to continue to assist you.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­__________________________________________________________________

If I have answered your question, please remember to click “ACCEPT.”

Clicking the green “ACCEPT” button will not cause you to incur any additional expense, and it is the only way that an expert gets paid for providing assistance, even if you have made a deposit or have a monthly subscription.

I leave Positive feedback for all accepted answers.

Positive feedback helps customers get quick responses to future questions.

If you would like to request my assistance for future questions, please begin the question with "FOR ATTORNEY 1".

____________________________________________________________________

This communication contains general information, only, and does not constitute the provision of legal advice. Information provided herein is not intended to replace a detailed legal consultation, and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Customer:

FOR ATTORNEY 1 ...

Customer:

To my knowledge, we never filed a formal property distribution agreement but splitting up the cars was something I thought we had always agreed on. Anu ther suggestions?

Customer:

Thanks, Andy

Attorney 1 :

Sure, you can remind your ex that if she wants to remain on legal title, she will be legally responsible for the parking tickets that accrue as you will not be driviing/moving it.

Attorney 1 :

If it comes it it, you might want to offer lher 10% of the sale price as an incentive.

Attorney 1 :

**** Please post a short reply to let me know whether I have satisfactorily answered your question or whether you need additional information.

If you need more information, I will be happy to continue to assist you.

Customer:

FOR ATTTORNEY 1...

Customer:

FOR ATTORNEY 1 ...

Customer:

FOLLOW-UP FOR ATTORNEY 1 ...

Customer:

GREAT IDEAS! Thanks for the advice. Andy

Attorney 1, Attorney
Experience: Knowledgeable and Experienced Attorney.