INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses

the community I rent from are reporting on my credit report

the community I rent from are reporting on my credit report the amount of my rent for the entire year; ie it shows i am in debt 12000 to them. I am in good standing with my rentors but I assume it gets updated monthly. are they allowed to do this is this legal or should I seek some action against this?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 2 years ago.
They can only report the amount outstanding. They cannot report monies not yet owing and for which you are not delinquent. You may demand they correct it, and correspond directly with the credit bureaus demanding they revise their numbers. If either refuses, you may file a civil action to have it corrected and seek costs and legal fees.

Please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a Bonus and Positive Feedback is not required, but doing so is very much appreciated!

If you have a follow up question, I am happy to address it. Just click Reply (not relist) to ask it and I will respond. On occasion, there may be a delay if I am helping another customer, conducting research, or taking a break.

Please remember that sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question so please keep that in mind.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so these large amounts are not allowed bailong so they should not be on my report right?!?!
could this be messing up my credit report and hinder me from getting credit?
Precisely, They may only report what is now owing, and even then as you pay the debt down, that balance needs to be adjusted and claim marked partially paid. Such false reporting indeed needs to be corrected as it has an adverse and negative effect on your report when pulled. Please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a Bonus and Positive Feedback is not required, but doing so is very much appreciated!

INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience: Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I feel I got a fifty two dollar hurry up read this line try to figure out the crazy all over the place web Paige! if your lawyers giving free advice the hurry up and hit the money colored tab so you can get YOUR part. That was the the most lameass advice ever

n
If I can clarify anything, please ask me. I understood your last question to be a confirmation follow up, but if you need other information, please ask me.