Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

My ex husband stole my personal journals when when were separated

My ex husband stole my personal journals when when were separated from our marital home and gave them to his attorney 2 years ago. He was ordered twice by the family court judge to return the articles immediately or be held in contempt. They were returned, grafittied with sticky notes by his attorney. We have been in very sensitive case with a theraputic interventionist and parenting coordinator re: his inappropriate behavior. He has recently provided a disc with copies of my journals to the current parentling coordinator to attempt to prove that I am unstable. These were submitted after there was a police and CPS report made on him for assaulting our 5 year old son. The parenting coordinator has asked the court to view these. The Judge has given me the option of refuting these. What are my options? Can he have this information as he was never authorized to have these journals?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
thank you for your question.

In your situation the best solution likely is for the judge to permit you to deny them the ability to see those records as they are essentially private. Regardless of how they are written, they are your private thoughts and unless the parenting coordinator actually asks you directly and you consent, or the parenting coordinator interviews you and you trust that individual enough to know what you think, it makes no sense to have a stranger review your past thoughts. This is exactly why the judge is giving you that choice because that information that your ex ended up keeping was never his to keep. since the order that the judge put in place before required that he only return the originals, as horrific as it is, unless your order expressly stated that all records left behind have to be destroyed, the ex's behavior is not quite illegal.

Good luck.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I rspond? I do not want to present evasive however, these were written over 4 yrs ago. I do not have any I dea what information is in them as I destroyedthe origionals when they were returned.
Thank you for your follow-up.

Simply responding to the judge stating that you are not comfortable with a stranger reviewing your past thoughts of over four years ago is is enough especially in your case where the judge is giving you the decision. The moment you informed the judge that you did not want the coordinator reviewing your documentation, the judge will so inform the coordinator and the matter is dropped.

Good luck.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney