Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Experience:  Knowledgeable and Experienced Attorney.
16911602

what is the best way to proceed if you find your neighbor installed

what is the best way to proceed if you find your neighbor installed a "hidden" camera on your property, pointed at your home? I don't want to remove it because that's destroying evidence. Do I call the police and ask them to make a report? There have been on-going tresspass /privacy problems with this same neighbor.
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 2 years ago.

Attorney 1 :

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer! I am preparing your response. Please remain online for a few moments, so you can get your answer right away.

Attorney 1 :

The first thing to do is to take photos of the camera in its present location. Do not touch it. Then call the police and make a report. Be sure to get a copy of the report, as well. If you can get an officer to your property to dust for fingerprints, that is even better. They should be willing to do this, since installing the camera is a felony.

Attorney 1 :

Climbing into your backyard is trespass. It is both a crime, if you have advised the neighbors to stop, and cause for a lawsuit. Also, by destroying your plants, your neighbors have committed the civil tort of conversion, which can carry hefty penalties.

Attorney 1 :

You can also sue your neighbors for the privacy tort or "intrusion upon seclusion" in CA, requesting punitive damages (penalty damages) for that, as well.

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX sort of what I thought. Do you happen to know if the police WILL come out and do this? My contractor has been trying to help me. We installed surveillance cameras [NOT AT ALL HIDDEN] so then they moved to destroying plants in areas of the yard the cameras don't cover. How important is it that I get their behavior "on tape"? My contractor thinks I must do this first before proceeding?

Attorney 1 :

Getting illegal action on tape is certainly helpful, but not mandatory, and you should not wait another day to call the poolice and get the ball rolling. Most particularly if you are experiencing incliment weather. If you inform the police that you found illegally installed spy cameras on your property pointed at your home, it is almost certain that they will come and fingerprint the camera for you.

Customer:

These neighbors do this because we are a lesbian couple living here. We have never done anything except mind our own business, and be polite normal neighbors. But still they harass us every single night. Oh, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX not think about weather affecting fingerprints. Thank you.

Attorney 1 :

I'm a bit curious as to why the contractor would suggest you wait. Fingerprint issues? Hmmm.

Attorney 1 :

Best of luck!

If you need more information, just let me know and I will be happy to continue to assist you.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­__________________________________________________________________

If I have answered your question, please remember to click “ACCEPT.”

Clicking the green “ACCEPT” button will not cause you to incur any additional expense, and it is the only way that an expert gets paid for providing assistance, even if you have made a deposit or have a monthly subscription.

I leave Positive feedback for all accepted answers.

Positive feedback helps customers get quick responses to future questions.

If you would like to request my assistance for future questions, please begin the question with "FOR ATTORNEY 1".

____________________________________________________________________

This communication contains general information, only, and does not constitute the provision of legal advice. Information provided herein is not intended to replace a detailed legal consultation, and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney 1, Attorney
Experience: Knowledgeable and Experienced Attorney.