Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

We are about to buy an office building. The seller signed a lease agreement with hair salo

We are about to buy an office building. The seller signed a lease agreement with hair salon & optometrist till 2014 for $6 per Sq foot. The minimum market value is $12 per sq foot.
Now as we are becoming the new owners , is there anyway we can give them a plenty of notice for the tenant to leave or to increase the rent to be close to the market value or we are obligated to honor the previous owner contract
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Good evening. Unfortunately, you are obligated to honor the existing lease. The thing is though that you should have factored this below market lease into the pricing of the building. If you capitalized the below market rent, you actually come out way ahead because you are using your multiple on a much lower income number.

Good evening. If the auction takes place and you don't leave, the law does not allow the new owner to forcibly evict you without obtaining an eviction order from a court. What that means is that if the sale date comes and you don't move out, the new owner cannot simply change the locks or throw your things out. Rather, what the new owner has to do is to first deliver a 5-Day Notice to Quit...which basically says you have 5 days to leave or face eviction. But, if you still haven't left, the new owner must then file a petition with the court for an eviction order. Depending upon the court's docket, it can take anywhere from about 15 days to a couple of months to get a hearing. Only when a judge has issued the eviction order can the new owner have you evicted. That will buy you a good bit of time.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.