Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I want to file an appeal on a declaratory judgment case filed

Customer Question

I want to file an appeal on a declaratory judgment case filed in xyz, georgia with the superior court. Which court is this appeal supposed to be filed with?
Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

The notice of appeal is normally filed with the Superior Court. Then the clerk of that court transfers the file to the state Court of Appeals.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Tina, Lawyer
Experience: JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok is the court of appeals within the Supreme Court of Georgia?

If not, should a dj case be filed with the court of appeals and/or the Supreme Court of Georgia?

Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
A dj case?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
misunderstood
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Please review the structure of the courts in GA, See: http://www.georgia.gov/00/channel_title/0,2094,4802_1361970,00.html

If your Declaratory judgment case was lost in the superior court, then you file a notice of appeal to the superior court and then you file your actual appeal first to the court of appeals. Then if the court of appeals rules against you, your final appeal is to the GA Supreme Court. This is the proper hierarchy of the court that you must follow and the previous expert was correct.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thanks. thats what we thought.

well the appeal was actually filed incorrectly with the supreme court who of course denied the case and now we know why

is there anything that can be done now?

If you missed the deadline for filing in the court of appeals, even though you incorrectly filed in the Supreme Court, then your right to appeal is ended for not filing within the time allowed. Those parties choosing to represent themselves are imputed with the same knowledge as an attorney and they cannot use the excuse that they did not know and made a mistake because the court would hold it was their duty to know when they decided to represent themselves without counsel.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thanks

are there any exceptions or certain type cases that would go to the supreme court and skip the appeals court?

No, the required order is through the appeals court.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

one last question and im accepting all of them and appreciate your time

the attorney filed the appeal to the supreme court, not the appeals court. Shouldnt he have known the proper court to file this appeal with?

so there is nothing else I can do except wish I had hired a different attorney?

If an attorney did this and did not file a proper appeal, then this is quite likely malpractice on the part of the attorney and you would have grounds to file a complaint for malpractice with the state bar and could also have a potential suit for malpractice if you can prove you had a likelihood of success of winning on appeal.