INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

I have a payment I authorized by phone to a creditor (mortgage

I have a payment I authorized by phone to a creditor (mortgage company) over a month ago.
I need to cancel the payment, but they say they won't do it. How do I revoke authorization for the payment so they cannot put it through my account?

Thank you!!
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 2 years ago.
If the payment has not been processed, you want to do so in writing both by certified mail and by e-mail which provide written confirmation of delivery and receipt. You may also want to alert the bank to block any such withdrawal so you have a direction both sides of the transfer.

Please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a Bonus and Positive Feedback is not required, but doing so is very much appreciated!

If you have a follow up question, I am happy to address it. Just click Reply (not relist) to ask it and I will respond. On occasion, there may be a delay if I am helping another customer, conducting research, or taking a break.

Please remember that sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question so please keep that in mind.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks..the payment hasn't been processed. the best they said they would do was move the transaction date from 12/15 to 12/30.
My bank says they can't place a stop payment because it comes in as an electronic transaction rather than a check.

Does sending the revocation of the payment authorization mean they cannot legally take the funds, even though I previously authorized the payment? I just want to be sure I'm covering all the necessary bases.
If neither side will stop it, you either have to consent to change the date, negotiate a later date, seek a court order to stay the transfer, or consider closing the account to prevent the transfer. Please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a Bonus and Positive Feedback is not required, but doing so is very much appreciated!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
one last question -- and thank you again for your time.
can i FAX the notification? they don't list an email address and frankly they are next to impossible to deal with.
Happy to clarify. Yes, you can do so but they may well continue to refuse to honor it, leaving you the options I mentioned above. Be sure to retain a copy and the fax confirmation sheet, and then call to confirm receipt and their compliance therewith. Good luck!! Please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a Bonus and Positive Feedback is not required, but doing so is very much appreciated!
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience: Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses